Pumpkin Apple Muffin
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup low fat buttermilk or sour milk*
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg, pumpkin, buttermilk, applesauce, brown sugar, and oil. Add pumpkin mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake about 25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean.
- Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups; serve warm.
*To make 3/4 cup sour milk, place 2-1/4 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 3/4 cup total liquid; stir. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes before using.
Serving size 1 muffin
Makes 12 muffins